A well-trimmed body with a flat tummy is what most of us crave for. Dieting and exercising may work for some in improving a flabby belly, but for those who have excessive skin or weak underlying tissues and muscles, even the most rigorous regime won’t work to provide a slim and flat waist. For such people, a tummy tuck surgery or abdominoplasty can help.
What is a Tummy Tuck surgery?
Tummy tuck surgery involves three surgeries in one:
- Special surgical techniques to remove excess tummy skin
- Liposuction to get rid of flabby fat
- Muscle plication to tone and tighten the underlying muscles in the belly area
Best place to get tummy tuck surgery done
While having a Tummy Tuck San Antonio, Texas visit Baumholtz Plastic Surgery clinic for the most successful and satisfying results. As a leading plastic surgeon certified by the board, Dr. Michael Baumholtz has extensive experience guiding men and women to decide if abdominoplasty can help them reach their aesthetic goals.
Before the surgery, Dr. Baumholtz performs a thorough physical exam to evaluate your abdomen and discuss the expectations from the surgery. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia and liposuction is done where Dr. Baumholtz lifts the tissues and removes excess fat deposits. The incision is made low across the belly even below the navel so that it hides any resulting scars beneath your lingerie or bathing suit.
Tummy tucks can be done according to the specific needs of the patient. To this, Dr. Baumholtz offers mini tucks, partial abdominoplasty, or a complete tummy tuck, depending on how much fat and skin is to be removed and how dramatic you wish your results to be.
- The procedure takes about three hours and most patients can return home the same day.
- An overnight stay is advised in some cases.
- You will be advised to rest for about 2-3 weeks avoiding strenuous activities and heavy lifting for some months.
- You can expect to return to complete activities within 3 months after the surgery.
Physical benefits of Tummy Tuck
Apart from a better physical appearance due to a flatter abdomen with tummy tuck surgery, there are quite some medical conditions too that can be corrected.
1) Reduces stress urinary continence: This condition mainly affects women who had a normal delivery. They experience uncontrollable bladder leakage, especially while coughing, sneezing, or laughing. Tummy tuck surgery reduces this embarrassing condition where the surgeon uses soft tissue near the pelvic region to make a bladder obstruction.
2) Rectifying Hernia: Ventral hernia is quite painful and it happens when the abdominal tissue protrudes through an opening in the intestinal wall muscles. Tummy tuck corrects this condition as the abdominal flappy muscles are rectified.
3) Better posture: The abdominal muscles are tightened and toned in a tummy tuck process which gives a better posture to your body. This lowers the chances of getting lordosis or “swayback” posture. It also relieves back pain.
The benefits of the tummy tuck procedure can be far-reaching, both from aesthetic and medical views. The results are permanent as long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet after the surgery.